a semi-rural, mini-homestead on 1/2 acre in Vermont's Green Mountains

Fresh Eggs, Organic Rocks, Pick-Your-Own Weeds, Foolish Pursuits!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Striped Cucumber Beetles are evil, and must be destroyed!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:C3ZXkI8DetWoMM:http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/files/images/striped-cucumber-beetle_0.jpg

Okay, I admit it....I cannot be entirely organic. :( I discovered these nasty little beetles on my squash, and did some research. Not only will they eat my squash into oblivion, they spread viral disease and bacterial wilt. I spend several evenings squishing them, but was afraid I would lose the battle. One poor little squash seemed to be their breeding ground. While most of the squash had just a few beetles, this one was swarmed. When I touched it they all dove into the ground where they breed. Out came the sevin! I doused the ground around this plant; today there are many dead bodies and no beetles in the garden that I could find! Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment