a semi-rural, mini-homestead on 1/2 acre in Vermont's Green Mountains

Fresh Eggs, Organic Rocks, Pick-Your-Own Weeds, Foolish Pursuits!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Is it Spring yet?

Spring in the Vermont mountains is an opportunity to practice patience! I want to be out in the garden SO badly but today it is 32 degrees and snowing lightly. Yesterday it was cold and rainy, we have had the woodstove fired up again for the past two days! However, we were blessed with a beautiful day a couple of days ago! The sun came out and it got up in the 60's! We got a lot done that day including general yard cleaning and building a 4X4X6 raised bed for a square foot garden. I was excited to discover the spinach has sprouted. I planted carrots, parsnips, onions and peas in the main garden and transplanted 3 lettuce seedlings from the galvanized tub "cold frame."
This year I started a multitude of seeds in the house, but they are not doing very well-not enough light. I'll have to restart alot of them, I think. The squash in particular is very scraggly looking. I am experimenting with growing onions from seed, they have sprouted well.
Despite my crabbing about the weather, we are about 3 to 4 weeks ahead of usual, weather-wise, this year. My forsythia and daffodils are blooming already, they usually don't bloom til May. And March 18th was so warm I was able to prepare the beds in the main garden and plant the spinach that just came out. I also planted peas that day, but no sign of them yet. This winter was undoubtedly the mildest winter I have ever spent in Vermont. It is a little scary. I just got my hands on the "Water" issue of National Geographic. I have been wanting badly to read it, although I know it is full of bad environmental news. Don't drink bottled water friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment